Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

There, I have just brought a car 3 days ago from a car "trader"

Hi there, I have just brought a car 3 days ago from a car "trader" he put a years MOT on it. after driving about 60 miles the indicators stopped working. Hazards stopped working. Rear heated screen stopped working, Rear window wipers stopped working. Central locking stopped working. No warning lights at all. Car takes a minute to start but then drives fines. It is at my local garage and they are trying their best but I can feel their panic that they are lost. I am a 29 year old mum to a 3 year old and i think maybe the sales man knew i wouldnt have a clue to look for faults like this. The garage have checked the fuse's, checked the Hazard switch, checked the indicator switch, tried a new ignition barrel no luck. Tried checking the wires behind the dash no luck. What should I ask them to try next please? It is probably worth me mentioning that the boot strutts do not work at all and the boot door flops down in case this effects any thing. Also the dipbeam and main beam work fine including the blue main beam warning on the display works fine. AC still works fine, front wipers still work. Car is a FORD FOCUS 2002 - REG - YD52 PNV. heeeelpp!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you. Can you tell me if your focus is Petrol or Diesel please, thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is a petrol 1.6

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Great, thanks.Just to confirm, when you say no warning lights at all, do you mean none come on when they should, or do you mean none are on while driving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry i mean that the engine warning light did not come one. The display didn't flicker nothing changed at all. I only noticed because it stopped making the tick tock noise and the little green arrows were not flashing so I pulled over and tried to put the hazards on and the triangle did not light up and the lights did not work then i realised about all the other bits

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm fairly sure I know what this is. It is difficult for me to say for certain without physically having the car to test but this sounds like one or more of the circuits in the multi-function control module have gone down. This is effectively the cars control unit for everything other than the engine, it controls lights, windows, wipers comfort systems etc.. I have had a look into the wiring diagrams to confirm, and sure enough all of the systems that have gone down on your car have one thing in common which is this control unit so I would be making this the next thing to check as it is the primary suspect at this point. This module is actually part of the passenger side fuse box, it can be swapped from another car, and there are plenty of spares about for these so I would expect to pay no more than £50 for the part plus an hour to fit but be sure the part numbers match if you go down the second hand route.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have read a couple of things on here about it being connected to the wiring that is in the boot of the hatchback? do you think it would be worth them looking there too? i am pretty sure that they have looked at the wiring behind the fuse box - is it the whole fuse box that i need to suggest that they change?

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is the actual fuse box it's self, It contains the main control unit which is basically a computer that controls the circuits, it is not the wiring to the fuse box that would be causing the problem. The boot wiring is usually a simple fix and also very easy to diagnose but this would only explain loss of function to the rear hatch wiper/lock/heater, it would not effect the indicators.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they have already tried this part and it made no difference :(