Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

My new S500 coupe just shut down while I was driving and

Hi, My new S500 coupe just shut down while I was driving and now won't restart. It keeps cranking, occasionally firing for a few seconds but then splutters and cuts out again. Car has done 700 miles. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
This could be many things that will cause this but most common is a failing fuel pump ,
Would not be the first time this has happened .
If the check engine light was "ON" when the engine was running before this happened then it may be a part of the management system .
But with this being a new car with only 700 miles the you will be fully covered under the warranty .
Then if needed please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg, thanks for your answer. The check engine light was not on before but came on just as the car cut out on me. I can't believe this would happen with a new car. If it is the fuel pump would they have to replace the whole unit? Is there anything else associated with it that I should insist they change also?
Thanks again
Best Regards
John
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi John . If it is the fuel pump all that need replacing is the pump no big deal . But they will see this when they hook up the diagnostic scan tool to check out the system .as the management system will record all that has happened and store it in the memory . Rgds Greg