Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Bought new Zarfia tourer April 2014 8 months later clutch

Customer Question

Bought new Zarfia tourer April 2014 8 months later clutch went, new clutch put in, August 19th this year clutch went, new clutch put in ,got the car back 1st. Sept,today the 13th we just about made it home. I do not drive on the clutch, and would like to add I have never had clutch problems before this
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

So what exactly do you know or are they saying in regards ***** ***** failing? Or what condition is the clutch assembly appear to be in when they've removed it?

I'm asuming this is the dealer thats done the clutch changes?

Any burning or noises from the gearbox/clutch before failure or issues with clutch pedal etc?

What engine does it have exactly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://paid.outbrain.com/network/redir?p=KwSas5QkANnd5w2vsN3uDX3D4GCi0PCRbMpLuheLWKurx00fMxs1IurNl2i8vJwiS5JfajEzebZf**kAQ3fR42yH0irS7PDa9f9qPOiz3KXZ6sO2LkLvb_KL3phw6069K7eNZWaJPheuwphlRXqAQR9JwlYdsxFzbGa5_vft9Nxau6qn9EDH12L2PhyhKO-xR7E9hwSEZBVfP9M5kh1nybl3Cz0Ypnwuw6RbrVzoaBI50GXbBWHOtC0OqMi0-53gVO4l-fdWgI0uX_Y6JjERsVcSMcaoOpFLqeTHYP8K4rZ1JVYejQi2uwG9-x64EfhPA_xti2vhu89g0s3TwhgN2CRQ2gD3Blk1CG7LSoG4TJILrKZEvweu6UAyQ0ENHFyb70oMQKu0cCxXQxbHk1UQqiZpV0XNMEUqeVha_Wrt7hhqSXe19q8S3axG9RetLk1Cx7tbZJN8W-6g0Vx8K9oOeiq9F2cztS-OicUnlgC5HM3uiMq9wVYVMmPQ8DwV1Icy2-yRfS9AtrJmdulxZmQuGQC8Q&c=67099b63&v=3
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi.. can you resend your responce again? as you seem to of pasted in a weblink????

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Burning smell that that gets worse and seems to me that there's a clutch sound when clutch not being used, though I must say my husband don't agree with me on that,and the burning smell is even worse outside the car.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Zafira1.4 tourer, just gone out to get something out of the car and the smell is still their ,the smell is worse naturally coming from the wheel arches. And I really can't think of anything else to say except never, ever had we needed clutch repairs or a new clutch even when we had second ,second hand cars.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Zafira 1.4 tourer,just gone out to the car to get something and smell is bad ,worse of course around wheel arches ,we have never had trouble with clutch problems before even when we had second, second hand cars and are driving capabilities are same.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi there..sorry for the late reply..

Sounds very much like the clutch is burning out prematurely and this should of been investigated at the start rather then just fitting in another clutch assembly...the only things beside's driver error or riding the clutch which im sure your not doing..that would leave and issue with regards ***** ***** / or the release side of clutch system is defective with reagrds to the concentric slave "which should of been replaced during clutch changes" or the clutch master...
For a clutch to burn out and create that smell you notice "depending what condition the clutches are in when removed as you dont say..this is something thats needs to be inspected" then id be looking at Installation of the clutch assembly / Makers of assembly course! / Flywheel condition or signs of contamination with grease or Oil "a must for inspection" / The hydraulic clutch release side is working properly and releasing fully when engaged / The gearbox spline shaft is free of corrosion / Also ensure that the braking system on the car is fully released and none of the wheels are binding on creating more effort on the clutch to get the car to move..certainly worth checking out...So as above alot of things need to be checked..but without knowing what the condition these clutches are when removed then i can only give what i think above should be done here..