Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Bmw 3 series E30 1987. Ignition fault. Not Monotronic ignition.

Customer Question

Bmw 3 series E30 1987. Ignition fault. Not Monotronic ignition. Coil replaced but still fails to start. Is there an igntion module that could fail ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome - My name is***** happy to help / advise.There can be several reasons for this - Is the engine cranking over fast on the key?Please give me its FULL reg number so I can clarify its exact systems..Rgds,. MIKE.........................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mike. Engine turning over normally, new battery last week. Coil replaced. Spark off the negative terminal of the coil with ignition on. Crankshaft sensor resistance 580 ohms. Old coil 00.8 ohms positive terminal to negative terminal. 5.85 K/ohms HT to both pos and neg terminals . Engine was running normally then cut out. Not fitted with immobiliser. In the manual system is described as transistorised coil ignition. Is there a separate ignition module. Reg No JIL 2477. Thanks Graham..
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Graham - Thank you for your reply.These do have an Ign module yes.. and I would actually suspect that this may be your issue.Some garages have equipment that can check these for working... I will give you a link to one on ebay ( for info ) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-3-Series-E21-E30-316-318-320-323-5-Series-E28-520-Ignition-Module-Switch-New-/310851198030so you know what you are looking for.Certainly given what you have described, that would be the thing to go for on this one now.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, thanks for the info. I can obtain a module on sale or return. Where is it located on the vehicle? I presume the crankshaft sensor is not a suspect for this fault. Regards Graham.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, thanks for the link. I have ordered the module via e bay. Where is it located on the vehicle? as I need to get the car up and running this week if I can. Thanks again for your help, Graham.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Graham -
The crank sensor can be a suspect yes - its all linked... Im not even sure, if memory serves on this older model, I think they had two crank sensors.
As for that module, Im a little concerned here - because BMW did fit these seperate and internal , in the DME.. IF you cannot find anything that looks like that module, chances are you have the internal one.
If you have one - it should be visible mounted on an alloy backplate - usually they were either on the inner wing / suspension turret area or bulkhead.
If it turns out you dont have one as the above, then yes I would suspect the crank sensor/s.. but its hard to say which to be perfectly honest. I know people that changed them both - to be sure..
Let me know how you go Graham... bear in mind though I will only be on a little tomorrow Im afraid due to other commitments..
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, thanks again. I will let you know how I get on.
Kind regards,
Graham.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Youre welcome Graham. Let me know how you go.Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mike, Re ignition fault on JIL2477 E30. I have had the ECU tested and no fault with it. Tried another coil be still no HT from the coil. 12 volt feed to the coil. The engine cranks over OK, new battery. All other related wiring checked OK. No ignition amplifier as it is the Motronic system. Ant ideas? Regards Graham.