Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Mate, 55 plate 1.4 16v came to me with a misfire on

Customer Question

Hi mate, 55 plate 1.4 16v came to me with a misfire on cylinder 2 swapped plugs around and coil packs, injector was over fuelling so have replaced that, it clean throttle body and map, reset settings driven the 10mile learn cycle 8miles in eml light is flashing, scan and cyl2 misfire detected, runs spot on from cold until emission control takes over then it's revs drop to just below 650 and starts missing, if you clear the code it will run fine wen hot for a couple of mins then the fault is back, temp sensor if ok reading as it should??? Ecu?? Or valve seat problem
Just rechecked compression for piece of mind all above 220 but 2 is slightly lower than 1,3,4 but I'm guessing it's due to having a faulty injector for awhile.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello sounds like you've checked nearly everything I'd check over the inlet manifold for any signs of cracking or a missing vacuum hoseThe best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements. also check the injector wiring and coil wiring for cyl 2 , look for any damage or corroded connections
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
£33 for an expert to tell me to check standard mechanical procedures, not what I would class as expert advice think I just take a refund please, I figure it out myself ta. Talk about money for nothing cheers so no I'm not a satisfied customer by any means sorry