Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I put a new starter on a Landrover Freelander - as soon as

Customer Question

I put a new starter on a Landrover Freelander - as soon as I turn the ignition on it tries to start. If I put the isolator off it stops - as soon as I put the isolator switch with the ignition on it tries to start.
The starter motor I took off had a whole burnt in it.
Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
For this to be happening - you have to have a crossed / shorted wire on the circuit - a fault with the starter relay ( if fitted )..or, a faulty ign unit.
Of all, the latter is the usual cause of this fault - you can renew the back end of the ign switch, the electrical part ... they are a common fault.
I mentioned the relay - not all had these- you would need to give the LR parts dept a ring - give them the VIN and have them check if yours has a "starter relay".. then check it if it has..
Otherwise, working through as above will cure this for you.
To gain access to the back of the ign unit you have to remove the cowls behind the steering wheel -
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -Im just checking back with you to see how you have got on with the Freelander , or if you need anything more on this . Feel free to let me know / reply and ask if you need anything else... or, if we are done, I just need you to click on the "OK ratings" for me at this point.. Thank you.. and again, you can still get back to me after doing that.Best Rgds, MIKE.