Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have 2003 Landrover Freelander TD4 which has an oil leak

I have 2003 Landrover Freelander TD4 which has an oil leak from the timing case. The dealer I bought the car from has attempted to repair this with a product called Chemical Metal by Plastic Padding. He says this is a satisfactory repair, but as I was not happy with the filler, he offered to have it welded in situ. Would you be able to say whether this is possible and would be a lasting repair?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the chemical metal fix isn't what I'd call a permanent repair, I presume that the timing case is cracked which is why you're looking into welding the best repair would be to replace the timing cover with a good used part and this wouldn't be that much ( about £40 for used timing cover) plus the couple hours labour to replace itor it can be welded up but welding it in situ stands a good chance of heat damaging the seals and or the timing chain tensioner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that. If the engine was removed and the timing case was left on the engine, would the welding still cause the heat damage. The problem with removing the timing case is that the engine will need a total strip down to access it, according to the motor dealer.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the engine doesn't need totally stripping downyes the sump has to come off and yes the cam cover has to come off and its about 2.5 hours labour to get the front cover off welding the cover in situ may be OK depending on where the crack is, the issue is if the crack is close to the seal or close to the timing chain tensioner then as these feature plastic parts they can be damaged by the welding heat personally I think its not worth the risk , as the dealer is trying to save himself money by not undergoing a 3 to 4 hour job to replace the cover