Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a Fabia comfort estate and sometimes cannot open the

Customer Question

I have a Fabia comfort estate and sometimes cannot open the tailgate. I have tried it with the boot lever by the driver's seat and I have tried it without using the lever. Sometimes it works O.K. but when I want it to work urgently it doesn't. The lever on the tailgate doesn't seem to help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
Can you just tell me exactly where you are up to at present / if you progressed any - then we can go from there..
Rgds, MIKE......................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The situation is the same

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello again -

Thank you for your reply..

Ok , the common fault that occurs with these is either the micro switch in the boot ( that operates when you grab the latch/ press the rubber to open ) , fails... but sometimes the conenctor plug comes off it too ( inside )... Sometimes too - you will get a bad connector there that will cause intermittent operation.

Now it could be that on its own... but I note you say you have trouble wih it even with the lever - that operates the latch to open the tailgate with a bowden cable.. You could have the micro switch issue AND a kinked / stretched cable...OR, you can have a faulty latch mech in itself - causing both issues..

So what you will need to do in this case is remove the inner panel - the plastic panel off the tailgate... then you can see exactly whats occuring - or not. You can manually operate the cable from the lever - see if that opens it then.. if it does - that would indicate the cable has either come loose or stretched ..or kinked along its route - you would have to check it back through ...

Too- you can check the wires / connector to the lock as above.. and manually operate the lock to see what happening.

Another cause of issues with these is breaking wires in the loom - follow the wires back - and check in the tubing where the wires run from the roof area to the boot / gate - peel open the rubbers and check for damage there.

One way or the other as above you should find and be able then to cure the issues you have.

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE