Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I am the owner of a Terrano which I bought new in Dec 2003.

I am the owner of a Terrano which I bought new in Dec 2003. The car has been trouble free until 2 weeks ago when i was going round a roundabout when the rear of the vehicle started to slide away from me this has happend 5 times since the first incident. I have fitted 4 new tyres since then and the vehicle has been in my local garage for 2 days and they can find nothing wrong. Can you give me an explanation as to what is causing the vehicle to behave like it is. It does not slide every time I corner
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I suspect that you may have a worn toe link bush or joint on the rear axle thats occasionally allowing 1 wheel to toe outCheck for worn suspension joints by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel). There should be no play in either direction.Any play in 1 direction will usually require a suspension joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.if this is OK then take the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to each other.