Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

My 2006 ssangyong kyron wont start after been driven - until

Customer Question

Hi My 2006 ssangyong kyron wont start after been driven - until it cools down again . leaving me stranded sometimes for hours if i stop the engine
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloI'm assuming that the engine cranks / turns over OK so this sounds like an electrical actuator or sensor at fault .Usually when you can cycle the ignition key on / off and then restart the engine and the fault is gone temporarily this indicates that this is an electrical component causing this issue. This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;Airflow meterCrank position sensorCam position sensorO2 sensorThrottle positionsensor unplug each inturn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free Also worthchecking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each inturn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40 and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating orcorroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist: Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn theignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V Also check for exhaust leaks before the o2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate. this can lead tocatalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the engine cranks over and the engine check light comes on in the dash board. this light stays on most of the time when its hot . Does this tally with your suggestions and checks ?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello yes it does and it would also be worthwhile plugging in a diagnostic tool to try and pull some fault codes off
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.