Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

I have a Peugeot 206. the engine is running veryquickly without any pressure on the peda

Customer Question

+I have a Peugeot 206. the engine is running veryquickly without any pressure on the pedals.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
What engine do you have in the car?
Any warning lights on since or prior to fault?
Can you reconfirm the year of the car...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.4 engine
No warning lights
2001 registration
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Could well be the idle air speed control valve - this part of the throttle body itself and can be removed and theory the best place to make checks id say is the throttle body itself.and the throttle pedal cable "especailly so" is free to move and not keeping the throttle open..if it does look as though it is and holding the throttle open disconnect the cable from it and then see if the engines run back at normal idle - if it does..then your cables siezed - check free play in the cable normally around 8mm is ok//and the throttle butterfly is actually able to free move and close and isnt sticking due to carbon build up in side the intake/butterfly flap causing it to stick open..remove the intake tub and check inside and actuate the flap to see if its free to move,check inside for any build up of carbon can remove the throttle body and clean it up with brake/carb cleaner to ensure its clean...also check the intake/vacuum side for any issue or leaks...another cause could be intake manifold leak..normally you can tell that by simply spraying brake cleaner along the seems of the gasket line on the inlet manifold to cylinder head and se if any change to rpm occurrs..if it does then thats your problem and new intake manifold gasket would be the way forward..but if all the above seems to be in order then the next approach would likely to be the diagnostic side to check engine temp rule out a fault temp sensor or issue with the ecu itself..