sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

Car seized up on motorway.i10 active under 3years old only

car seized up on motorway.i10 active under 3years old only 22,000 miles. dealer says only half litre oil in gearbox, no leaks anywhere on parking so where has it gone? they say not covered by 5 year warranty. surely there must be somewhere for oil to leak from and why would it only come out on motorway where it cant be seen !!
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.There should be no reason this wouldn't be covered under warranty, unlike the engine oil the transmission oil level is only checked on routine services. If the car has a full service history and there are no leaks then the chances are the oil level has been low from new and not checked on a service. Given the capacity of the transmission half a litre of oil may have been enough to partially lubricate the transmission which is why it has now failed at a low mileage. If the oil did leak on a motorway you would see it still as when travelling at speed the oil would spread along the underside of the car and would be clearly visible.There's no way for around a litre and a half of oil to be lost from the transmission without it been noticed. As I mentioned earlier if the car has full service history and a transmission oil check should be carried out at a service then speak to the garage who carried out the service. If as can be the case with some manufacturers the level should be checked only if a leak is evident and there is no leak then the transmission level is the same as when the car left the factory.I strongly suspect the transmission oil was low from new but not completely empty which is why the failure occurred at a low mileage.Ask the dealer why it isn't covered, manual transmission oil levels are not a level check item for the owner and if there is no leak then the low level is a manufacturing fault and covered by warranty. Oil can't disappear with no trace from a gearbox and any leak causing the low level would still be a valid warranty claim.I hope this helps but if I can advise further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.Best wishes,Sean.