Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2001 golf 1.8 tdi clutch pedal does not return fully i have

2001 golf 1.8 tdi clutch pedal does not return fully i have too pull it up with my foot ,if i don't pull it up with my foot its difficult to get into gear pull the pedal up and its ok
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello 1st check that the return spring at the top of the pedal is in good conditionif it does then try bleeding the clutch hydrualics
Normal
0
false
false
false
EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing. If you still have issues with the hydraulics and its good after bleeding but then gets worse after a few days / hours, then I'd try leaving the clutch pedal held down overnight by bracing the pedal against the seat base with a piece of wood or similar, this is to try and force the seals inside the slave to take a set in the right orientation as over time they can shrink and draw air back in when you take your foot off the pedal. its also possible that the master cylinder is sticking so this may need replacing This shrinkage isn't enough to leak any fluid but the gap is big enough to draw air in (gas being harder to seal than fluid) if this doesn't work I'm sorry to say that the slave cylinder is going to need changing. also if the fluid is dark in colour this is a sign the seals are breaking up