Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2001 lexus rx300, and am puzzled why the stability

Customer Question

I have a 2001 lexus rx300, and am puzzled why the stability control occasionally kicks in when I am setting off from a stopped position. It doesn't happen all the time, but when you are at a junction and the car begins to struggle to move, it is worrying. Any ideas please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Normal
0
false
false
false
EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
with ABS and stability systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's. Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, I'll certainly check all that out. Thanks.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
No problem Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, I have no further questions.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

glad to help