Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a fabia elegance 105. only 10,000miles genuine on clock.

I have a fabia elegance 105. only 10,000miles genuine on clock. electrohydraulic power steering, perfect light steering around town but on open road can wander if you take your eye off the road for a second, ie does not appear to stiffen up with speed. book says has electrohydaulic power steering and characteristics can be changed by a specialist garage. can you comment
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello 1st thing to check is if the tyre pressures are correct, as if its over inflated the steering will be too lightand it would is take the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to each other. and lastly yes the steering weight can be adjusted but this needs to be carried out at a dealer or VW specialist who has the VAG com tool
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sure no wear.had wheel alighment done, not possible on back.can you explain steering weight adjustment more fully ,and give me some idea what it might cost.I am putting in 29psi on17in wheels(not low profiles. cheers
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
to adjust the steering weight the VAG com software / interface tool is used its about an 30 minute job with no parts required so it shouldn't cost much at all
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is splitbetween the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please ratemy answer.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years