Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Nissan X trail 2011 173bhp. I find that the car

Customer Question

I have a Nissan X trail 2011 173bhp.
I find that the car will not start in the morning. I have taken it to my local Nissan main dealer and they cannot find anything wrong. I changed the battery last year from a 65amp battery to a 75amp battery but the problem persists. After the initial start the car is fine for the rest of the day.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello is this the petrol or the turbo diesel?also how many miles are on the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi MATT, It is the turbo diesel and has done 30,000 miles

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloI'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the suppl ywire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately60-80amps. Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensorIf the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issueLastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much, I will get back to you

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Matt

I replied several days ago,

Your suggestions are a bit too deep for me so I have booked it in to a local garage next week and I will give them your suggestion sheet

Derek
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

good luck