Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My S-Max has a Volvo HUWA engine (2.5 Petrol Turbo). It has

Customer Question

My S-Max has a Volvo HUWA engine (2.5 Petrol Turbo).
It has developed an irregular rattle from the first and third cylinder and the bottom end.
Having passed through several garages, there seems to be uncertainty as to the actual problem but the ultimate solution is a replacement engine. This has caused an issue in that there are none available for an S Max, but if we know there is a Volvo using the same engine we could source one of those.
Do you know if one of the Volvos uses the same engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good morning to you Do you still require assistance with this issue Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please.We have looked at the engine and I believe a diagnostic machine was plugged in but this only said that one cylinder was not working and one was intermittent.Without stripping the engine down it appears had to find the issue and that could be very expensive and not solve the problem; leaving an exchange unit which we are struggling to locate.There are a number of rogue operators out there and we have been stung recently already!
Hi there ,good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok if there is a bottom end rattle /knock more noticeable after a hard Rev then this indicates a big end isdue ie: scored shell etc
The best way to resolve this would be to instal a replacement engine (2nd hand )
Ok the 2.5 5 cylinder 225bhp Vi5 engine is a Volvo engine which is used primarily in the Volvo T5 vehicle
Ford most commonly use this engine in the focus ST (06 onwards ) and are also used in smax/galaxy and Mondeo but are more rarely seen in these vehicles
These 2.5 Vi5 engines are identical base engines so any of these would fit your S -Max
Albeit you may need to swap a few brackets etc off your old engine as some fitments are different
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I understood, the HUWA Ford code is used in the S-Max whereas the HYDA code is in the ST. Do you know the correct code for the Volvo engine we are to use and what the difference is between them? Are they interchangeable?

Struggling to find this information and need to be 100% before committing..... Thanks

Hi there ,thanks and sorry for the delay Ok these vi5 engines are interchangeable as the base engine is identical We at ford don't use engine codes as these are more for factory build information and can cause confusion when trying to find the same engine The only difference between the s max and St is that the smax is 220 bhp and the St is 225 bhp (this is controlled by engine management and has nothing to do with the base engine So fitting a focus ST engine in place of yours is fine Kind Regards ***** ***** Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian

Rated excellent service and it has responded to say "since you are not satisified" not sure what the website is doing but you were helpful!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian

I think I have two options to decide from. One is the following

Complete engine less ancillaries. From 2005 V70 T5.
Code B5244T5]

and the alternative is a rebuild be Zi Motorsport.

This depends upon whether the engine code above is a direct match for the HUWA '57 engine.

Is it a direct replacement?

Hi there sorry for the delayed response

Ok the t5 engine is the exact sane base engine as the St
You may need to swap engine mounts and brackets etc but the base engine is the same

Regards Brian