Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1989 Bentley turbo R. I suffered a distinct loss of

Customer Question

i have a 1989 Bentley turbo R. I suffered a distinct loss of power on the motorway but carried on running. It feels like it is misfiring, is that likely and what is the likely cause
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hellothis is quite possibleif you have no check engine or other fault light on then I'd start by measuring the fuel pressure on a running engine, you need to attach mechanical gauge to the fuel injector rail and it should be about 3 Bar (44 psi)if low then 1st replace the fuel filter and then check over the power supply to the fuel pump Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light http://www.noidlight.com/ Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.