Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

When preparing and treating the chassis protection,

When preparing and treating the chassis for rust protection, what protective material application can then be applied over the metal to rubber areas of the chassis, which house the suspension bushings and ball joints? I understand that Silicone spray lubricant will protect and not cause damage to rubber Bushes / Ball joint rubber Boots etc; however I don't think it would afford long lasting protection on chassis suspension Bushings etc. which are exposed to the elements. So the question is what substance could be applied over the metal chassis suspension areas which encase the rubber Bushes or which are attached to Ball joints with rubber Boots / covers?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello somethign like Dinitrol 445 can be applied with a brush to the chassis metal and with no detriment to rubber parts https://dinitrol.co.uk/ or black wayoil also works well and is available from Halfords
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your helpful advice. I didn't know of the Dinitrol products previousl. After researching them, I don't think the Dinitrol products are available to be applied by brush method, only compressed air pressure or by aerosol spray. Also 445 is described as forming a hard resin / plastic based stone chip covering. Dinitrol 4941 on the other hand is described as a forming a robust black waxy film which does not affect zinc, rubbers or plastics. Dinitrol Metallic seems to be described similarly but brown in colour. Do you think Matt, that these or other similar Dinitrol products like Dinitrol 1000 spray might work better on the chassis and bushings etc. than the 445 Stone chip? I would welcome any input advice you might have.

Thanks Matt,

Kind regards,

Brendan.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Brendan the 4941 I've used in the past as a general coating and it works well, it just tends to get washed off over time ( several years) but its won't harm any chassis rubbersthe washing off over time is why I reccommended the 445 as its a apply once kind of product but to be honest you'll struggle to pick a badd coating from the dinitrol range, as they are all made with high levels of corrosion protection in mind and I've yet to encounter a bad one but
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Matt,

I appreciate your helpful response, although your reply to me seems to have been abruptly cut short with the word "but", in your email to me.

It appears then from your advice that the 445 product is a better and more durable option to use on the metal chassis. However, you do not specify whether you know if it will affect the rubber of Suspension Bushings, Ball Joints and Driveshaft Boots, over the long term. The Dinitrol.co.uk website doesn't specify this in relation to its 445 product either, as far as I can make out.

Perhaps using 4941 over the metal chassis and rubber parts firstly, followed by the 445 would be an option. In your opinion, do you know if this would work well? (i.e. Would the 445 product adhere well to the 4941 base cover?).

Matt, you neglected to tell me in your last response, whether you know if the 445 product is avaliable in brush-on paintable form as opposed to spraying only. Also, do you know what differences are there between the Dinitrol Metallic product and the 4941 product, apart from the Metallic being brown in colour, as opposed to black in the case of the 4941 product? I would like to ascertain if the Metallic product has any advantages in application compared to the 4941. Similarly, can you tell me if the Dinitrol 1000 product has any advantages in application, compared to the other products mentioned?

Sorry Matt if my questions are somewhat detailed, but with your help, I'm getting closer to a definitive answer as to the correct product or products to use, in my current particular situation. I hope you can add some detailed insight into all aspects of my queries. Thanks again Matt.

Kind regards,

Brendan.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello according to the dinitrol website 445 is available in a aerosol or liquid formthe liquid is really meant to be applied with a low pressure 'schutz' gun or similar driven by a compressor but theres nothing to stop you applying it with a paintbrush eitherSo the best option may be to apply the 445 onto the metal chassis 1st , allow it to dry then spray the 4941 over the top of everythingI'd avoid painting the 445 onto the rubber / moving parts as its will just crack offthe 445 is meant to be over painted once its dry its not meant to be applied over the wax ( 4941) so 445 1stlet it drythen 4941 over the top
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt,
Sorry about my delay getting back to you. Your advice sounds good about applying the 445 firstly. However, I'm not so convinced that the contents of the Dinitrol canisters, which are designed specifically for air pressure application, would be viscous or fluid enough to be capable of being applied by brush.
I know you've already said that you have used these products, but you didn't specify that you had used a brush application method. Can you clarify if you are aware for certain of the suitability for application by brush?
Kind regards,
Brendan.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloI have used Dinitrol with a brush as the canister fluid flows easily enough to pour and then be spread out with a brush so there's no need to go and buy a compressor and air gun etc to apply it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Matt,

Your advice re paint brush application is good news. However, a reply email from Dinitrol tells me that 445 and 447 (stone-chips) and also 4941 (waxy), can be applied over 3125 (oily / greasy fluid film), but not over each other. I'm confused!

Your take on this would be welcomed.

Kind regards,

Brendan.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Brendan

I think that they must react with each other

I'd say Dinitrol must know their product better than anyone else so I'd go with their reccommendation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cheers Matt,
You were a great help to me overall. Thanks again.
Kind regards,
Brendan.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello BrendanBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpfu lplease rate my answer.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years