Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

On an initial cold start my 2.2 diesel sounds as if it is misfiring,

On an initial cold start my 2.2 diesel sounds as if it is misfiring, lumping, struggling to keep ticking over, cabin literally shaking!. After approx 3 miles when engine is warm, everything settles into a better regular smoother sound. Plenty of diesel "chatter" at the beginning as well. Can you help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello 1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.It’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the filters were changed Matt. Performance is fine once the engine is warm and to temperature, that is the annoying thing. The diesel chatter seems to be a bit excessive when cold as well, any views on this being a contributing factor? Using good quality diesel, used Wynns fuel clean with EGR cleaning additive and Wynns valve and uplifter additive. No change when cold.

I will relay this information to my garage about the EGR THEORY. Any other advise you can offer?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the extra information This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;Airflow meterCrank position sensorCam position sensorO2 sensorThrottle pedal position sensor Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40 and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals- so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.