Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 1998 A140 semi-automatic (I know - calm yourself!)

Hi I have a 1998 A140 semi-automatic (I know - calm yourself!) with about 70,000 miles. It is a great little thing and goes well. Except the alternator has gone. How much should it cost to repair/replace?
Cheers ***** *****!
Claire
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..

Normally its depends on two factors..where the alternator is sourced and how much the garage are per hour to remove and refit the new one in..if the diagnoses is 100% down to the alternator not charging and not an issue with wiring to it or be it the belt itself that runs the alternator etc.. Alternators for that type of car can come in at the £230 roughly for a Bosch type of course there are cheaper but depends on the maker of the alternator itself - the garage needs to get the numbers from your old one and the AMP rating to match it - Fitting again its reletively easy job if the garage you use has done them before as its all mainly done under the car/engine..but as rough figure £80 labor ontop.so you "could" be looking at £300 roughly.Its best to get quotes first locally and then take it from there..It may also be worth mentioning whilst your getting your alternator replaced to get the auxillary belt replaced at the same time..least then when they fit the new alternator in they can put a new belt on too....I do hope this helps