Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician

I have a 2009 mercedes cls 350 diesel, which has developed

i have a 2009 mercedes cls 350 diesel, which has developed a ticking noise. Is there anything recent that is suggested to cure this. Suggestions are associated with the injectors. Can offended one be isolated and replaced or is that not how diesles work, I'm no great mechanical brain. Do aftermarket additives work ? tah
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.This does sound like an injector problem, I would recommend some more in depth diagnostics are carried out before replacing parts to confirm it is definitely an injector as there are other possibilities such as a sticking lifter or general wear and tear on the valve train but a common cause of a ticking noise would be either a fuel injector or a small crack or leak in one of the exhaust manifolds or gasket. I'm doubtful that this would actually be the fuel injector it's self faulty, a bad injector causes issues such as misfires, smoking, or a heavy knocking noise, If the injector is causing a ticking noise it's usually the copper injector seal, the injector is bolted down into the bore and sealed using a small copper washer, these can leak which causes the cylinder pressure to blow by the seal causing a ticking noise which eventually turns into a 'chuffing' noise accompanied by a smell of fumes in the engine bay or even a puff of smoke from the injector area so it may only be a small leak. If the ticking noise is proved to be from the valve train, additives may be a good option to try. I would recommend using a good oil flush, then the oil and filter replaced and optionally the use of a hydraulic lifter treatment to help clear out and quieten the lifters. They have very small oil ways which can easily block as a result of sludge getting into the oil way, a good oil flush and fresh oil will often help push the sludge through restoring full function of the lifter.Either way, if it is an injector, it is a minor leak which will eventually get worse but in the short term will cause no issues, but i recommend it is looked into at least to confirm what it is exactly. A ticking from the valve train will not be a fault as such but more wear and tear so again, in the short term will cause no problems but the use of oil additives in my opinion would certainly only do good. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician