Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Loss of power and poor response on accelerator pedal when

Customer Question

Loss of power and poor response on accelerator pedal when revs are around 2000rpm.
Sometimes not picking up at all, ie engine dying on me - have had to call breakdown service to take me to my garage (Citroen dealer). They seem to be at a loss to know what to do as computer diagnostic not really showing any fault (where are the mechanics of old??). They cleaned all the electronics cables, but I do not have confidence driving the car, although have to do 30 to 50 miles a day to get to and from work. They are now talking about blocking off the EGR valve to see if that helps. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car is a Citroen Berlingo 1.9 HDi, 2007. It is regularly serviced by the Citroen garage where I bought the car in 2008 with 13,000kms on the clock. They do not really seem to know how to deal with this problem, although I have spoken to them on a number of occasions about it - in particular the loss of power and reluctance for the engine to pick up speed, even faltering, when the revs have dropped. I am due to take it to them tomorrow (Mon) as they have now proposed this action with the EGR valve. I would really appreciate hearing from you regarding this by this evening if at all possible. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Helloblocking off the EGR valve as a diagnostic test is a good idea so worth tryingbut I'd next replace the fuel filter as the next stepas even if slightly clogged can have this sort of effectAlso try checking for airleaks after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running. As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements. Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile I'd also suggest inspecting the throttle pedal sensor for corroded contacts and damaged wiring
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds a bit complex to my untechnical brain, but will do my best to translate into Spanish to the mechanic tomorrow and see how we get on. Thank you for your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In your reply when you talk about possible leaks after the airflow meter you say 'leans the engine out' - what exactly do you mean by this?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hello you get best power at a certain air to fuel mix so too much air is known as too 'lean'hence if the airlfow mesasurement isn't accurate you can end up with not enough fuel going in the engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Citroen garage have blocked the EGR valve and have suggested that it could stay like that if car performs OK. What is your view on this? Fuel filter is changed regularly - last done at 213,000 kms - car now done 223,000. I'd be interested to hear your views regarding EGR. To change it they would charge about 190/200GBP.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'd agree that blocking off the EGR ( providing the valve is left plugged in so not as to upset the ECU) can be left as you'll get a slight power and fuel consumption benefit so I'd agree that this is a good test and may solve the issue
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.