Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

Kick down not working correctly

kick down not working correctly
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 12 months ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
What Make .Model .engine size .
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Passat s tdi auto 1.9

Expert:  Greg replied 12 months ago.
Thank you .What i suggest you is first check for transmission malfunction codes .If this system has any codes then this will also inhibit it going into 4th Check fluid level and condition of fluid if low top off if dirty then you may have internal problems like a damaged torque converter , Valve body issue ,solenoids etc.. If you have a hard code then this will put you into limp mode which is when you select D you will only have 3rd gear ..You most likely have a problem with one of the following electrical signals from various sensors that provide information to the ECU about vehicle speed, throttle position, engine coolant temperature, transaxle fluid temperature, gear range selected, converter turbine speed, engine load and engine speed.The ECU uses this information to determine the precise moment to upshift or downshift, apply or release the TCC and what fluid pressures are needed to apply the components. Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.Kind regards Greg.
Greg, Technician
Experience: Automotive diagnostic tech
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hi Greg.

Thank you for your prompt attention to my Husband's problem with his Passat. Unfortunately the instructions are not within his scope as his lifelong trade was as a Mechanic and he has corrected cars for a living but not how they are today. They are very technical these days.

We don't think you could have served us better than you have.Thank you very much for all you have done.

He is going to go to VW now as this is what should have happened in the fisrt place.