Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

1.9TDI engine Sharan car. I have an intermittant, apparently

1.9TDI engine Sharan car. I have an intermittant, apparently random battery light flash for say half a second with "alternator workshop!" Message.
Is this likely to be a malfunctioning relay? If so how do I identify it for replacement. The battery shows now sign of not being charged.
Thanks for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello its a 'smart' alternator on these which can turn themselves off via the ECU so its possible that this functionality isn't working properly so 1st check the connections to the alternator for tightness and corrosion and inspect the alternator wiring for damage and hard sectionsand if this is OK then the alternator will need testing by an electrical specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Matt, I now know what needs to be done. I'll speak to an alternator expert.

thanks for your prompt reply.

regards

Dave