Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My 2000 Golf V5 auto won't always go into reverse. Sometime

My 2000 Golf V5 auto won't always go into reverse. Sometime you need to increase the revs of the engine and it will then 'bang' into reverse. It also hesitates sometimes between first and second gear. Is this a torque converter issue, or something else? I did consider trying to replace the gearbox but they are not easy to find.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wish to continue waiting, thank you.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Sorry for the delaying in answering your question. This sounds like the control solenoid for the reverse clutch pack is sticking or there is a restriction in the oil way. If not already done, I strongly recommend the drive train control unit is checked for fault codes as often there will be a fault code stored which can help pinpoint the problem, although unlikely there is an external electrical issue, it is possible so it is always worth having this done before going further, any good garage should be able to do a fault code scan. If a solenoid is sticking or blocked there will usually be a fault code stored for this in which case it pinpoints the specific cause which can often be repaired with the box in place, the valve plate is accessible without removing the gearbox and the solenoids from memory are under this.Otherwise unfortunately it probably is an internal problem so there are two options, either replace for a second hand box, or have your box repaired. It is a job best left to a transmission specialist due to the complexity of automatic transmissions. A second hand box is usually a more realistic option if it is proven to be an internal issue.
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.