Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

There My key will not turn in my Renault trafic van. It

Customer Question

Hi there
My key will not turn in my Renault trafic van. It slides freely in and out, in fact too freely. I had the aa out and was told barrel faulty,needed changed. Cannot remove barrel unless I can turn the key! Is there a way to remove without turning key?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Unfortunately due to the high security nature of the ignition barrel it is not going to be possible to remove the barrel assembly without causing damage. The barrel will need to be drilled out using an 8mm drill bit, this will allow the pins in the barrel to drop down and the key to be turned using a screw driver to remove the barrel. a new barrel can then be fitted with the matching key. Although is seems bit daunting taking a drill to it, it is very simple and effective. The drill should be masked to a few mm shorter than the depth of the key blade to ensure you don't drill too far. Once drilled insert a screw driver, give it a wiggle and a twist and the barrel will turn, You may need to poke about to encourage the pins to drop out. If the 8mm drill be does not work, you can go larger if necessary but i find 8mm works perfectly for me.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.