Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Our car has been in the garage four times in the last 3 months.we

Customer Question

Our car has been in the garage four times in the last 3 months.we were putting more oil in than usual then we noticed we had an oil leak.that was fixed.a couple of other things went wrong and then the car kept overheating.i was topping ubp the water ever few days until we took it to the same garage and he said we needed a new water pump.4 weeks later it was still running out of water.it turns out we have a crack in our head gasket and is going to cost us 1100 pound.is this something they should have picked up?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Was there actually water/coolant physically leaking from the water pump? did they test,check before replacing.
What engine does your car have?
Was there evidence of overheating? /excess vapour out tail pipe? / oil,coolant cross contamination? / expansion tank with increased pressure or oil traces?
What tests did they carry out to come to conclusion the headgasket is at fault?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..
Forgot to ask.. What exactly was the cause for the oil leak?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just said it was the oil pump.that was about 2 months ago.only evidence of overheating was the temp gauge in car and no water in the bottle.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..
Ok..Well as far as picking up on the headgasket issue first off..its hard to say over someone elses experiance and what symptoms it was showing at that time with the oil leak...however the fact you noted that the water pump seemed to be at fault or leaking could suggest that the under performing water pump or the pump gasket allowing coolant to escape may likely have a knock on effect at not keeping the coolant flowing/circulating through the system and radiator and thus causing increased engine coolant temperature and thus effecting the headgasket or the head itself..depending on the severity of the overheating,coolant loss or how prolonged the overheating was would be factor in that...Normally if coolant is being lost they need to refill and then perform a pressure test on the system this helps diagnose if a leak is externally or internally with regards ***** ***** drop on the guage.that may off been something to perform after pump replacement..they can also perform a compression test across the 4 cylinders and this will give a idea which cylinder is at fault..they can also a do cylinder leak down test and this will help diagnose further.or they can do exhaust gas dye sniff test on the expansion tank..
If they have proved the headgasket is a fault and the reason for the loss of coolant with the testing above ie:- coolant in the cylidners or being burnt off under combustion? then there's no really any other avenue you can take bar having it replaced..but they should also ensure the cylinder head isnt effected too,stressed warped or cracked..The quote you do mention there does seem a little overpriced to be honest...so it could be worth at least gathering other quotes locally..or decide/keep in mind based on the age of the car what mileage it has if its worth the repair or not..I do hope this helps
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
.