Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

There is a loud squealing noise from the engine compartment

Customer Question

There is a loud squealing noise from the engine compartment on starting which is eliminated by increasing the revs, In days gone by I would have associated this with a slipping fan belt but that doesn't seem to be applicable in this case. This "fault" has been ongoing for some time but seems to becoming nmore regular and persistent. Is it the water pump or the alternator??
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

another trick to shut up a water pump ( if this is the culprit) is to add a teaspoon of brake fluid into the coolant as this dissolves in water and will add some lubricity to the seals which can shut things up

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.