Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My car is 6 months old low mileage and I am hearing an intermittent

My car is 6 months old low mileage and I am hearing an intermittent knocking noise when I have had the steering in full lock to do 3 point turn or get out of restricted parking space and on most occasions when the car is straightening up I hear 5/6 knocking noises from the front nearside area. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Apologies for the delay in getting to your question! Can just confirm whether the noise occurs with wheel straight and when turned, and is this only when the vehicle is moving, e.g would the noise occur if you were to turn the steering lock to lock while stationary? Can you also tell me if this is a deep Knock or more of a click? Many thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. Thanks for your interest in my problem. The noise is when the vehicle is moving from the wheel turned and is returning to the straight. I would describe the noise as a knock and not a click.Hope this information helps you perhaps highlight the cause.

Regards, John

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, It sounds like a drive shaft or ball joint, These can be difficult to pinpoint sometimes but unfortunately I think it will be a case of trial and error. Ideally the car should be put on shaker plates to check for movement in all of the joints while being inspected on a lift. It can be very hard to find the faulty joint because they often only knock when under load and at a certain angle. It may also be worth checking the sub frame as these can sometimes move resulting in a knock. My best advice would be to return the car for further inspection as they joint they replaced clearly didn't cure the problem so it will be a case of further investigation ideally with the weight of the car on a flat bed lift.
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician