Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

How serious is it of a circlip comes adrift in an Audi A4 transmission.

How serious is it of a circlip comes adrift in an Audi A4 transmission. Is it an indication of other serious issues or can it cause more serious issues when it comes adrift?
Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.I suspect if a circlip has come away from it's recess it was either not fitted correctly or it has broken. I don't see any reason this would be a result of another more serious problem. As for the damage it may cause, this could range from no damage what so ever, through to total failure of the transmission, it is very difficult to say and the only way to know is to inspect the area to look for any obvious damage, and then functional checks of the gearbox.This sounds to me like there was a good chance this was a manufacturing defect resulting in an incorrectly seated clip, depending on exactly what it is retaining would also help determine the level of damage it could cause but this would be fairly apparent upon inspection. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.