Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have exchanged the alloy wheels on my MY15 Subaru Forester

I have exchanged the alloy wheels on my MY15 Subaru Forester for Subaru steel wheels for winter use. The alloys were fitted with a pressure sensor inside the wheel together with a special valve which can't be removed without damaging it. I've fitted the
steel wheels with ordinary valves but this has caused the tyre pressure warning light to come on (not surprisingly). My local dealer has extinguished the warning light via their computer but they tell me that this will disable the warning light for both tyre
pressure warning systems i.e. the ABS and the pressure sensor inside the tyre. Is this correct? The pressure sensors inside the wheels can be removed from the valves and ideally I would like to buy new special valves to use with the original pressure sensors
but apparently they can only be purchased as a complete unit at about £120 each plus VAT..
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the dealer disabling the TPS shouldn't effect the ABS so to be honest I'd check the tyre pressures every couple of weeks and not worry about fitting expensive sensors as the car will still stop ,handle and drive just fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Matt, thank you for your reply. I agree that the ABS system is unlikely to be affected by the disabling of the warning light for the pressure sensors in the wheels. What I would like to know is if the warning light will still come on if the ABS system detects a difference in the rotation speeds of the wheels i.e. a possible skid.
With best wishes, John.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello John the ABS light should only come on when there's a fault in the systemif the ABS is operating and helping preventing wheel lock up then the light will stay off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Matt. Thanks again for your reply. On my last car the ABS light used to flash, not when there was a fault in the system, but rather one wheel was being locked or whatever else the system does to prevent a skid or whatever. I understand that there two low tyre warning systems on the Subaru, one via the ABS system and the other via the air pressure sensors within the wheels. My last question is does the disabling of the warning light for the air pressure sensors mean that it will not come on when the ABS is doing its bit. Many thanks, John.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello the behaviour of ABS lights varies from manufacturer to manufacturer so you will see different behaivour and yes the tyre pressure warning light will now not come on once its been disabled even if its its triggered by the ABS system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Matt,
Many thanks for your help over this matter. I'll sign off now and am happy to award you five stars.
With best wishes,
John.