Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My 1995 w124 200E 4s auto is making rumble sound when pulling

Customer Question

my 1995 w124 200E 4s auto is making rumble sound when pulling away in first. no noise in other gears or reverse. cannot prove if atf has been ever changed. up to 156000mls.would it be any benefit to do a fluid and filter change and flush or detrimental. harry j
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like the torque converter may be causing the noise as this is only effectively used under load when pulling away and often will make a distinct rumble type noise. The gearbox will tend to whine or grind rather than rumble. I would certainly recommend carrying out an oil/filter change, Ideally an oil flush. The torque converter will store a lot of oil in it, as well as other components in the gearbox so a flush is a better option to ensure the fluid is fully replaced and any debris is removed. With Auto gearboxes like these a good oil flush with the correct grade ATF Can make a lot of difference to an older gearbox. There are also a handful of additives available to help quieten gearboxes, people have varied opinions about them but they are unlikely to make things worse so may be worth looking into.I'm doubtful this is an imminent failure or anything too serious, more wear and tear, a good oil flush may well help and i think it must be the first step, if that doesn't help with the rumble, it will help the gearbox regardless, and worst case it might need the torque converter replacing in the future but I would see how much new ATF Helps, if the noise then continues to worsen the torque converter should be looked at.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for help.mercedes have examined the car, and have discovered a worn bearing in the driveshaft carrier,and are convinced this is the problem.mind you it has taken 8 or 9 years for them to come to this conclusion. Why would it only vibrate in first gear if this is the mystery noise ? H>J?
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry for the delay getting back to you!With regards ***** ***** it would only vibrate in first gear is a but unusual from a carrier bearing but it is quite possible depending on how worn the bearing is. As this has gone on for a while it does seem strange as generally once they go noisy they will quickly deteriorate to a point the problem is clearly visible upon inspection and of course the noise will get worse. If there is clearly a problem with this bearing it would make sense to have it replaced as a first step anyway and it may well be that it is the cause. I must admit it's not the first thing that I would suspect but it could simply be "one of those things" that just seem to give unusual symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Ross. thanks for prompt reply. It baffles me also ,that this bearing has lasted so long at 70mph plus, but it is going to be replaced on thursday the 19th,and all may? be revealed. regards harry.j
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Please keep me updated, and feel free to ask if you need any further help, best of luck. Ross.