Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

MY BATTERY WILL NOT CHARGE PROPERLY.I HAVE A NEW BATTERY AND

Customer Question

MY BATTERY WILL NOT CHARGE PROPERLY.I HAVE A NEW BATTERY AND NEW LEADS AND TRANSFORMER? IF I TAKE THE LEAD OUT AND PUT IT BACK IN IT WILL START ChARGING FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN STOPS.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
you don't say what make, model and year this us but 1st check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.
if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.