Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My car when driving on motor way is not stable with its steering

My car when driving on motor way is not stable with its steering like when the tracking is out ..if I go over a bump I can feel it slightly sweves just had new tyres and tracking what else could it be
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheeloff the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steelbar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving upand down separately to the axle. If so replace the bush To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing also check for worn mountings -check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mountsand seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber. Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so nothing too serious then
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hopefully notI should also say to check the tyre pressures are up to the maximum
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
glad to helpBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.