Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I'm stuck in Spain with a Jaguar xfr and the only oil I can

Customer Question

I'm stuck in Spain with a Jaguar xfr and the only oil I can get that's close to what I need is castrol edge 5w -30 fully synthetic. Will this be ok to use as I'm travelling back to UK in this car today?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello that will be fine, as you're only topping the oil up? not changing it ?the normal oil weight is 5W20 and the important number is ***** 1st one '5' as this is the hot number, so as this matches between the 2 oils you won't have any issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have to put in 1.5 litres but I believe sump is 7 litres.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
thats correctthere's nothing to worry about, other than the oil consumption of this engine shouldn't exceed 1 ltr per 1000km so if its suddenly dropped check for external leaks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I was just concerned cos the manual say only castrol 5-20 specialist oil.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
the 'specialist oil' is a low ash content blended especially for Jaguarit basically extends the life of the catyslt as this engine uses oil and burns a little as it runshowever a 20% mix of some regular oil until you can get home and do a service won't make any difference
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.