Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

There, we just bought a car from a dealer. Some things were

Customer Question

Hi there, we just bought a car from a dealer. Some things were wrong so got him to fix it and do a new MOT. cert is online but got no paperwork so not sure what he checked but it has come back. Looking at oil cap, there is a watery light brown mud colour on cap. Inside the oil is quite dark. My partner thinks it's burnt oil or a mixture of fuel and oil (something like that) suggestions on cause?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car is a vauxhall corsa's 1.2 if that makes a difference..friend said it might be seal might be damaged. They have said they will give us money back and trade it back in but I'd like to see if it's an easy fix first. Apart from a little dark, inside looks fine...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have attached what it looked like on the oil cap. Thank you
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.
What exactly was the things you had fixed or rectified by the dealer aswell as MOT?
Whats the registration?
How does the car perform now? any issues with the engine or overheating that you can tell?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He fixed the indicator and the bonnet lever. The oil light was coming on also. and there was a petrol leak underneath somewhere. He never told us the problems he fixed, it just came back fixed. It now sounds a little funny run wise whereas before it was smooth. Registration is NU53 DCZ
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.
Ok i see the car an got about 85,000miles. MOT advisory is antiroll bar and both cv gaitors not seriously damaged but preventing ingress of not overly serious to be honest but may have to be addressed at somepoint..but they should of provided you with a print out or pass certificate regardless of whether its online...
However the issue with the contamination - that could very well be sign of headgasket trouble or even timing cover gasket failure the water pump is bolted to the timing cover and through into the head so if the gasket fails it can then send traces of coolant into the oil via the timing chain housing into the sump..thats one possible issue - aswell as these engines tend to have trouble with timing chain any noise/timing chain noise from the timing cover will certainly point to that...if coolant is getting into the oil then you will see a marked drop in coolant level so you'll have to monitor that closely....the oil light is concern..things need to be taken into account as far as - when was its last oil/filter service..might be worth trying? whats the oil level like now..if its too low then that may be your trouble?..if its recent the oil service then you'll need to have the engine's oil pressure tested and an inspection of oil pressure switch to determine if thats at fault or the oil pumps failing.but a pressure test on the engine to ensure its within spec will rule out either way..But the factors with the cross contamination and the oil light and the engine sounding unusual..may point to either headgasket fairly likely id say without seeing it or through what ive seen on these engines before or as i mentioned above the timing cover gasket..both of which can be a fairly expensive to fix especially if you just bought the say at least let the garage if its under warranty sort it out..if they dont then you have the option of taking up the offer of money back..and look for a better example elsewhere..I do hope this helps