Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Peugeot 307, coolant temperature too high warning comes on

peugeot 307, coolant temperature too high warning comes on gauge goes into red, stop light comes on. This was on a very short trip to shops, engine and radiator cool, fluid level optimum, can hear fan going when stopped.. the question is can I still drive it tomorrow, I have to go about 10 miles uphill.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just been out to start car from coldand temperature shoots up and warning comes on. My trip tomorrow is really important don't know if I should risk it and sort this problem out on Tuesday?
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
If the engine is clearly not over heating, which is not the case if the gauge goes to red from a cold start, this will be a faulty temp sensor on the engine. It is a common fault on these models.The sensor feeds the signal to the ECU which then controls the fan, fuel mixture, temp gauge and warning lights... When the sensor starts to fail it intermittently looses signal, the car thinks its over heating and so the warnings are shown, and fan is kept on constantly. This is perfectly normal behavior for a faulty temp sensor.You have already done the basic checks e.g water level etc.. So the car will be perfectly safe to drive, you may find the warning comes and goes intermittently when driving. The sensor should be checked and replaced as soon as is conveniently possible.The sensor its self is around £20 for an OE Part, it takes no more than half an hour to replace. I recommend having a diagnostic scan carried out before replacing the sensor to confirm the fault, any good garage can do this.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ross, you answered my main concern which was getting to my appointment tommorow, so the rest can be sorted out later, I will just have to try not to lady panic when it happens again? Thanks again wendywindows.