Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Suzuki Vitara 1.6 (2008), Both front brakes overheating. New

Suzuki Vitara 1.6 (2008), Both front brakes overheating. New discs and calipers cured the problem for a couple of months. I suspect the electronic control system, as traction control, ABS and braking distribution, I believe come througfh this unit. If the unit is faulty would replacement be viable or is there a simpler solution. I presume the unit could only be tested by a Suzuki dealer.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Is your ABS warning light on when the engine is running .
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there are no abnormal lights showing.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Okay then i don't think the ABS system is causing you this problem .
Are the front brakes still dragging or only when the system is warm/hot.
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From cold, after a mile the discs are too hot to touch. After a few miles its enough to stall the engine in high gear. Can be driven in low gear to get home, hence the disc replacements. Rear drums not heating up. With hot discs, on an incline the car will move freely when handbrake released. Handbrake is fully releasing and indication light goes out. Prior to engine stall, there is a noise from the gear/transfer box which is probably caused by the strain of overcoming the brakes, more effect than cause I think.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Okay when you have it to the stage of the front brakes sticking on jack up and see if you can turn the wheel by hand , if hard to turn open up the bleed nipple and see if fluid squirts out and releases the pressure and now can turn the wheel .
Let me know if this makes a difference ..
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg.
Thanks for the input I'm changing tack now and getting the gearbox / diff overhauled as this seems to be the most likely cause of the brake problem. I had the brakes checked out and there is no mechanical fault at the wheels.
Thanks and Regards
Neil
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Neil. Why the gearbox and diff these two have nothing to do with the Brakes . If all mechanical sides of the brakes are 100% then i would be checking the ABS system. Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg'
My reasoning for the two symptoms to be related.Only happened to me once,in August the horrendous whine and heat causing burning of the brakes but has happened twice to the wife. There has to be some problem with the gearbox/drive train. There is a G sensor located by the gearbox which feeds into the braking system,maybe picking up some vibration. Maybe just picking up sufficient signal to apply a little bit of braking. Maybe far fetched but will see what the gearbox people find.