Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Volvo V60 with 17" Njord Alloys with 215/50 R17 W

I have a Volvo V60 with 17" Njord Alloys with 215/50 R17 W summer tyres and I want to get winter tyres. My friend has some spare and said he will sell me tyres already onnalloys for cheap, he's only used them for one winter. His tyres are 225/45 R17 Nokian winters on 17x7 Volvo factory alloys, silver 5 spokes.
Would it be safe to swap these tyres out and put his tyres onto my car?
Many thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello this wheel and tyre combination will be fine as the difference between the 2 sizes is only slightthe 215/50 R17 has a diameter of 323.4mm and the 225/45R17 = 317.2mm so just under 2% so you will only notice a very slight reduction in gear ratio1 thing to bear in mind when running a winter tyre is they are usually speed limited to 112mph and the sidewalls are softer ( for better grip) so the car will move around a little more when cornering hardnothing to to really worry about , just something to be aware of
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Matt, Thanks so much for your quick reply and good advice....hopefully I'll not be hitting 112 mph in the snow! Thanks again!
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello glad to have helpedBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.