Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician

I had an overheat engine cease a few years ago and the engine

Customer Question

I had an overheat engine cease a few years ago and the engine and cooland pipes have significant oil contamination sediment. local jag garage say they want 3500 to flush it out having already charged me once for an unsuccessful flush. the coolant header resovior has loads of brown sludge . two aa men said they couldnt believe the pipes had been cleaned . garage fobs me off saying sediment comes back as soon as you run engine . could you advise how long / many flushes it's likely totake to clean the engine out properly so i can assess /consider alternatives to clean up?
theyd missfitted one coolant pipe which pinged off and caused me to stop dead the day after and then alst week i went 17 miles and had steam comming out the engine and exhaust with low collant again with coolant leaking when the engine started. they didn't say what caused that but warned couldnt guarantee pipes and thought i had a suspected cylinder head crack. is that the same as the head gasket or is that terminal?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 11 months ago.
Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok the oil in the coolant can be caused by 2 things
1, an oil cooler issue
2 ,a cylinder head /gasket issue
If you have oil in the header tank and no overheating etc them its most commonly down to the oil cooler failing causing a mix of oil /water
In these cases the oil cooler should be replaced and the system flushed (this includes ALL coolant pipes and components i: radiator etc removed and either replaced or cleaned properly
Note: even after replacing ie: coolant bottle and fleshing all components it can take up to 4-8 good quality flushes (with a bio degreaser mixed with the coolant )
Even then you can still have very light residue
And this is also very time consuming
Referring your overheating issue with steam coming out if exhaust and engine this indicates coolant has entered the combustion chamber thus meaning the cylinder head needs to be removed and inspected for any cracks or warping due to excessive heat exposure due to lack of coolant
If the cylinder head is cracked or warped or the engines water cooled liners are cracked then this is terminal damage but you won't know until the head has been removed for inspection
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi thanks . garage said the oil contamination was following last overead where i replaced about 6of 8 gaskets but although full of sludge its been running fine till the alst service they advisedreplacement of pipes in view of corrosion which i agreed to. then trouble started . so cracked cylinder isn't a feasible fix likea gasket? it good bye engine . how ios that likely tohappen ? should i monitor coolant/exhaust steam ? drive slowly ? is it likely to go bang one day ?could you advise rough std time to replace the engine ? what i'm toying with is finding another car the same and swapping in engine ( i have lots of unusual toys on mind which is why i bought it and over the least few years i've replaced quite a bit of the suspension etc which i'd be binning with the car . which hurts .
Hi there
Ok if the cylibder head is cracked it can be replaced its more common for the head gasket to go first depending on how long the vehicle has been driven whilst having no coolant has a lot to do with the damage /limitation
The car won't go bang as such but would start pressurising the coolant system quicker until it gets to stage where by there is excessive water entering the combustion chamber
If there is white smoke from exhaust combined with a loss of coolant this indicates it's going into the engine and exiting through the exhaust
Kind regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
many thanksI'd appreciate indications of time practicality of the following.If i could fine a cheap similar car how long roughly would it be to swap engines ? i have a 3.5 , if i found a 4.2 instead then would there be coupling problems ? ie take my shot 3.5 engine out and put rthe replacement in . giventhese models are usually £4k to buy trade i need a balance cost of trying to keep mine going or swapping.There s a v8 lwb 4.2 with black seats but no in car ent system ie tv in seats . how feasible /what time would it be to swap out my ent system and seats to put in that ?