Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 98 polo and it will not stay started

Customer Question

i have a 98 polo and it will not stay started
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump atthe tank. If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and outand the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the pump and filter before this question, I also looked at the relay and made sure it was good, pressure is getting to the fuel rail as well. The only thing that was done before this issue was the keys were stolen and a new ignition barrel was installed.Anymore advise would help. thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Ok is the dash all lighting up as normal ?and does it crank / turn over OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the lights work as advertised, it turns over fine and starts as well, as soon as i start it as well i can rev it up to about 4.5K then it just dies.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello for the engine to die like this then This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;Airflow meterCrank positionsensorCam position sensorO2 sensorThrottle position sensor unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40 and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I pluged in and OBDII reader to see if i could see some code on why its not starting but its not connecting to the car, I read that the radio install might be the problem(aftermarket radio), I have disconnected the radio now the obdii reader will still not connect. Any advise.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello do you have power to the ECU relay when the car shuts down ? if you do then this may be an issue with the crank speed sensor and I'd consider replacing it
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.