Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My i20 won't start and the keys are not opening the doors. there

My i20 won't start and the keys are not opening the doors.
there is a clicking noise though when I try to start it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.It sounds like the car battery has gone flat. The clicking noise is the starter solenoid engaging, without enough current the solenoid will click in and out as the motor cannot spin without a large amount of power from the battery, This is perfectly normal when a battery is low but not completely flat. Without full battery power the central locking motors and control unit cannot function correctly, and will also fail to operate.The car will either need to be trickle charged or jump started. If jump starting ensure the engine is run for at least 30 mins to re-charge the battery.As for the cause of the flat battery it is usually something simple such as interior lights being left on, or even leaving the car unlocked for several days can cause excessive drain on the battery. Also short trips contribute to this, it takes 3 miles of driving just to replace the charge used to start the engine. Once started I strongly advise the battery is tested (most garages can do this) in case the battery is failing to hold full charge, in which case a new battery may be needed.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.