Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have just bought a RAV4 2005 VVTi manual 50,000 miles. The

I have just bought a RAV4 2005 VVTi manual 50,000 miles. The mileage is warranted but car has been little used (1500 miles ) in the last 2 years. Problem 1) Hits 2000 revs when starting from cold but soon settles down but then leapfrogs when driving along especially with light throttle. Fine after it warms up. Problem 2) when descending hill with very light peddle pressure, feels as if the brake is being lightly applied then released repeatedly. Fine if the foot is completely off the peddle i.e. On the overrun
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Both of these problems sound like they are linked. The higher than normal RPM sounds like the idle control valve may be sticking, this causes it to idle higher or lower than normal or stall, they tend to stick when cold and become operational when warm, or at least semi operational. The second problem you describe also confirms the Idle valve is the primary suspect. When you are decelerating the fuel is cut off as the engine is no longer producing power, as the engine RPM drops close to idle speed the idle air control valve starts feeding air (and therefore fuel) back to the engine to prevent stalling. If it sticks, not only does it give the engine too much air (increased RPM) the engine will think it is trying to idle at higher rpm rather than decelerating which will cause the engine power to come and go, which in turn feels like the car is speeding and slowing on overrun.Most garages will like to carry out a fault code scan first to confirm the problem, I suspect this is happening because of the lack of use and will most likely simply require cleaning out. Worst case a new valve may be needed. From memory this is part of the throttle body assembly, it is a relatively simple part to change, if you were to have it cleaned and inspected at a garage it will usually take about an hour.
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.