Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2009 citroen C1 splash has recently started making

Hello, my 2009 citroen C1 splash has recently started making much more noise than normal and the engine has a rasping sound to it. I am used to some amount of engine noise but this is an increase. The bonnet does not feel hot after running but sometimes my gear changes are a little sticky. Had a full service in April 2014. Now sounding rough when left running on driveway.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noise is consistent even when car is warmed up to the extent that other people have remarked on it. Oil and coolant level seem ok. Noise in cabin is above normal and I know that this car is not quiet at the best of times which i don't usually mind but feel like I'm driving an old motorbike.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Normal
0
false
false
false
EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
I'd start by checking all the exhaust joints - where the manifold joins the head and the down pipe joints just before the catylst - the best way to do this is to start the engine from cold and feel around each joint with your bare hands - feeling for exhuast gas blowing over your fingers - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot.