Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2009 XC60 D5, 80000 miles. Recently on start up the

I have a 2009 XC60 D5, 80000 miles. Recently on start up the power steering is "dead" for a few seconds before it starts working. There is also a whining noise when turning the steering wheel. This noise is not loud, and only noticeable at low speeds. I'm guessing it it be a steering pump issue. Any advice?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd agree that its likely to be an issue with the steering pumpif you haven't already then try bleeding the system by moving the steering from lock to lock ten times with the engine running also check the stae of the drive belt for any cracks and other signs of slipping - replace the belt if in any doubt
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it safe to drive with this apparent problem with the steering pump. Is it likely to fail suddenly?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello usually you get some kind of warning when the pump is about to fail, the steering effort periods of 'deadness' will become more frequent and closer together before it fails altogether However I'd still get it replaced sooner rather than later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a complicated job to replace a steering pump?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello fairly straightforward bank on about 1.5 hours labour and $300 in parts for a new pump