Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Touareg 2.5 TDI SE Automatic, 2007, 43,000

I have a Touareg 2.5 TDI SE Automatic, 2007, 43,000 miles
There is a whining sound heard when driving around 30mph to 40mph
and it changes tone as it changes through the gears
any ideas what this could be ?
Nick
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello if the tone changes with load / throttle position then I'd say the next step is to check the differential oil level in the rear diffas this can whine under load when worn or with dirty oil I'd also say its well worth checking the main transmisson oil level,check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park. You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks Matt.
It's more noticeable when the car has been left overnight for example ..was driving it around this morning for about 45 minutes and by then it had pretty much gone ..apart from a slight sound at around 40mph in 4 & 5 gear ..if this helpscheers
Nick
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
that sounds like its temperature effected so I'd say still check the fluid levels as the next step
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks