Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

There, I have a customers 2010 transit 2.4, won't start

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a customers 2010 transit 2.4, won't start at all now, was starting intermittently when the day warmed up but now won't.
The only code that came up was for the cam sensor, so I replaced it.
We have NO injector pulse when it won't start. Plenty of battery power, I changed the crank sensor and removed then replaced the vac control valve on the fuel pump, as it was showing signs of wear. And I believed that these 3 items give the ECU the pulse to fire. In the afternoons it did start, me thinking it was a heat thing poured hot water on the ECU and it didn't change, then in the afternoons then it did start I froze it to see if it may have been the issue but it still started.
Now it won't start at all. Computer says cam and crank sensors are not synced? I'm lost, need help.
Phil.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil .
This looks like a typical timing chain issue ,
If the cam , crank sensor are both good then timing is out .
This is actually a common issue on this 2.4 tdci..
But would like to have bthe actual codes if you have them to confirm my
diagnoses .
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is bthe? The vehicle only has 96,000km on the clock, the owner says that sometimes when he was just driving along the engine would stop and all the dash lights would come on. He'd restart and go off again. I have noticed that the dash LCD lights are on a lot when I come into the workshop go out again when I hit the key. I'm leaning towards a computer or plug fault.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Phil . What is the actual malfunction codes . Don't think the ECM but would first check the ignition switch ?? Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Greg, there are no current fault codes, in the data analysis, I can see the cam and crank sensors are not synchronising? when it dose start, they do.
I have no injector pulse still, and now have not been able to start the van for a couple of days. Not even in the afternoon when its hotter now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg, removed the timing cover today to check the timing, as you suggested, and I believe the timing is out by an amazing two teeth. The tensioner is about an inch out. Quite amazing for a vehicle that has only done less than 100,000 km.
Thank you stress relieved.
Phil
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil . Just as i thought with the timing , seen this happen at 75.000 ,so 100.000 is good .We have noticed that if the oil is change earlier than the manufacturer say like 3000 milesthis problem is less often.. Kind regards Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience: Automotive diagnostic tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg, bad news, the chain may have been stretched but it hasn't cured my problem.
We received the kit today and fitted it new chain guides and tensioner, but no fix.
Cranks but wont start. Still no Injector pulse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg Hello? any more clues? I have noticed the dash lights on as well when I come in in the morning? as soon as you turn the key they go out. Still not starting.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
When cranking the engine do you have a rpm reading .
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea we do 196 rpm under cranking sounds normal and fast
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
1.Check for codes .
2.Clear codes .
3.Recheck for codes before trying to start .
4.Crank engine for 10 seconds wait 5 seconds crank again for 10 seconds .
recheck for codes .
Give me the codes 1 to 4 you have in this order .
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have you even read my messages?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
bad news, the chain may have been stretched but it hasn't cured my problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no injector pulse still, and now have not been able to start the van for a couple of days. Not even in the afternoon when its hotter now. 24/11/15