Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a golf s tdi 1.6, the engine feels like its slipping

I have a golf s tdi 1.6, the engine feels like its slipping sometimes, losing power and then just turns off. No warning lights appear on the dash. The man at the garage took it for test drive and said there is nothing wrong but the car stopped 4 times in 45 minutes. please help
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS. I have just had a new timing belt fitted, if that helps
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello for the engine to die as you decribe then I'd suggest checking the power supply to the engine ECU, remove the fuses and inspect for cracks and corrosion and also do the same for the ECU relay if this is OK then check the state of the engine earth connection and main battery connections , they should be tight and corrosion free there will also be some small earth connections that run out of the engine loom and are secured to the engine with small bolts and ring terminals - these too need to be tight and corrosion free if this is all OK then replace the fuel filtter as the next step as if its only slightly clogged then this can restrict the main pump and stall the engine