Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I'm not very good on I pod I have a 1995 vitara 1600petrol

Customer Question

Hi I'm not very good on I pod I have a 1995 vitara 1600petrol ( project ) engine has high re vs 1700-1500 unplug afi plug on air filter box revs fall to900 but (expert s??? Next door) said it could be any thing help help help I'm getting over a fractured skull ie hard kitchen floor,,!<<>>?any advice I can only thank you merry Christmas Peter the old boat doctor Derby 771622
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400&deg;C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements. It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faultyAir leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them. This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was a marine engineer ran my business 35 years one slip kitchen floor fractured skull job dunfore spanner hand gone taste smell brain u/s but i can still say thank you may your GoD keep safe the old boat doctor
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
no problemany more issues just get back to me on this post, there's no need to open another question